Categories:

Morning Routines & You

How to care for yourself when you first wake up & set yourself up for success
Graphic of woman waking up in the morning with article headline/byline
Canva

Self-care is the act of caring for yourself. There are so many ways that an individual can achieve the act of self-care, but most people don’t even pay attention to achieving self-care because they don’t know how.

Examples of self-care can include exercising outdoors on your favorite trail, or trying out a new healthy food. The list doesn’t end there; there are hundreds to thousands of methods of self-care out there that might take some extensive research.

Initially, self-care was primarily used between health professionals and their patients. It was used for the aim of having patients manage themselves by eating healthy or overall taking care of themselves after medical treatment. Now, the phrase is used across social media amongst children, adults, teens, and alike for the same reason; to care for yourself or prevent medical ailments.

What is a morning routine?

A morning routine is a series of steps or actions that are regularly followed on a day-to-day basis in the early hours of the day. Everyone has a morning routine, but everyone’s is most likely to be different.

Factors that cause everyone to have different morning routines depend on gender, race, ethnicity, culture, socioeconomic status, etc.

Why do we need morning routines?

Upon asking the students of Coral Springs High School the question ‘What is your opinion about self-care as a whole?’, two responses from two different students stood out.

One response was from a tenth-grade student, Arianna Sullivan who stated, “I do care for self-care as it is very important to not just yourself but to everyone around you as well as the people that you love. It shows them that you take care of yourself and you care about yourself as much as they care about you.”

Arianna also continues to say that self-care can inspire someone else who is in a bad place to care for themselves as much as you would care for them.

The other response was from another student, Isabella Plofkin. “Self-care is definitely very important but it can be difficult for those with low energy,” Plofkin said.

These responses are very unique because they both share the same idea that self-care can be inspirational to those who can’t or are in a bad place at the current moment.

What elements comprise a morning routine?

There are different things that make up a morning routine, and there are different things that relate to the elements that make up the routine.

Typically, most people wake up, brush their hair, brush their teeth, get dressed. Additional steps may be added for some students, such as applying makeup, crafting hairstyles, and/or feeding pets/taking care of responsibilities.

These elements of a morning routine are important because they are individual to every single person.

Should you participate in morning routines?

At the end of the day, self-care is an act of self-love. Northwestern Medicine reports that morning routines “can help you manage stress, which can lead to better mental health, more time to relax, and less anxiety.”

Morning routines can be a great way to develop a healthy way of living. Morning routines and self-care, in general, can inspire someone who is in a bad place in their life to care for themselves as much as you would care for them.

Donate to Colt Chronicle
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Coral Springs High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.