Categories:

The Security Guard Upstairs

Meet the newest edition to the CSHS security team: Coach Jalen!
Security Guard/Coach Jalen
Security Guard/Coach Jalen
Sofia Dasilva

Coach Jalen, one of the newest additions to Coral Springs High’s security guard team, always stands in the main building upstairs near the 500-600 rooms. Jalen is 37 years old. Born in Pompano Beach Florida, Jalen grew up playing football at our beautiful school and ended up playing college football in state. His main position was Defensive Back, though he did occasionally play as Running Back as well. 

This year may be the first year you have ever seen Jalen around the school, that’s because he became a guard for the school a, “year and some change” ago. When asked why he became a security guard, his two main reasons were to take part and contribute towards making the school a safer, better place, and, obviously, the money. 

Jalen’s favorite teachers are Ms. Taylor and Ms. Severance. When asked to describe himself, Jalen used the words “creative,” “awesome,” and “that guy.” 

From my experiences, Coach Jalen is a great, kind, humorous guy, and even a role model for some. He has taught me so much since I met him two years ago, and he brightens everyone’s mood. Jalen’s not only a great security guard; he’s also a great coach. 

Fighting through harsh practices, bad games, and, honestly, football itself, is so much easier when you have a great mentor and friend to help you through high and low. 

Students who want to talk to Coach Jalen and have questions about the school or football can find him upstairs in the main building. We are always looking for more players, so don’t be shy!

As you have most likely noticed, I have been addressing Jalen as coach. Coach Jalen is the running back and assistant coach for the Coral Springs Colts football team. Jalen became a football coach two years ago for the Junior Varsity football team, coaching many first-year students and sophomores including myself. 

Playing football with Jalen as a coach has been a wonderful experience, and I speak for most of my teammates last year and this year.

Coach Jalen’s favorite players are our guard Mahni Richardson, a gentle giant and our best senior lineman, and Sharaf Amireh. When I asked Jalen how it is being a football coach for the school, he said, “It’s cool” and that it, “has ups and downs.” 

As everyone in the school knows, the school’s football team is on a losing streak standing at the negative record of 0-4. “It’s life,” said Coach Jalen, “Nobody is perfect. Every week is different. We keep coming every week…keep getting better.” 

The football team is currently rebuilding as players and staff come and go. Starting the season off 0-3 is harsh, but in the words of Coach Jalen, “that’s life.”

Donate to Colt Chronicle
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Coral Springs High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.