Colt Chronicle

The Student News Site of Coral Springs High School

Breaking News
  • May 14, 9:25 amSenior Final Exam Exemption Forms can be returned to Colt COUNTER only during lunch periods from Thursday, May 9, 2024, through Wednesday, May 15, 2024.
  • Feb 1, 8:15 amToday, Thursday, 2/1/24, is a Professional Study Day! All students will be released at 11:40AM with an option for a Grab-and-Go lunch!
  • Jan 25, 12:56 pmMr. Dixon begins his first day at Coral Springs High School's new Principal!
  • Dec 18, 9:15 amHappy Midterms Week, Colts! Please click HERE if you still need to fill out the form to sign out early this week!
  • Dec 4, 7:56 amMidterm Exam Exemption forms will be distributed by your sixth period teacher TODAY, 12/4/23. They are due NO LATER THAN next Monday, 12/11/23, by the end of your lunch period!
  • Oct 30, 8:00 amTHURSDAY, Nov 2nd is a Professional Study Day! Students will be released at 11:40AM with the option for a "Grab-and-Go" lunch
  • Oct 30, 7:59 am🦇🎃👻 Happy Hallo-week! Remember to show your Colt pride by participating in Homecoming Spirit Week! Monday is "Visions of Gold" or "Dress as Your Grade"!
  • Oct 4, 7:38 amTHURSDAY, Oct 5th is a Professional Study Day! Students will be released at 11:40AM with the option for a "Grab-and-Go" lunch.
  • Oct 4, 7:37 amUnderclassmen Picture Days will be THURSDAY, Oct 5, and FRIDAY, Oct 6 through your English class! 📷
  • Sep 29, 9:50 amPig Bowl is TONIGHT at MSD @ 7PM! Come show your support for Varsity Colts Football!

Colt Chronicle

Colt Chronicle

Are clear backpacks the clearest choice?

The policy requires you to bring clear backpacks and bags. Purses, duffel bags, fanny packs, and lunch boxes must also be see-through.

On Friday, May 5 th , 2023, around 2 pm, everyone heard the news of clear backpacks.
Broward County Public School students must bring only clear backpacks/bags for the 2023-2024
school year starting August 21 st , 2023.
The policy was implemented due to increasing violence throughout the district. It was
announced right after an 18-year-old J.P. Taravella High School student was arrested for creating
and spreading threats all over social media. The student is now facing felony charges.
This isn’t exactly the first time a policy for clear backpacks/bags was followed. For five
months, following the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting on February 14, 2018,
students had to switch to clear backpacks. It was only for a brief time and stopped in August
2018.
On the Broward County Public Schools website, they said, “The purpose of this
requirement is to add an additional layer of safety across our district and provide added
safeguards for our students, staff, and faculty.”
The policy requires you to bring clear backpacks and bags. Purses, duffel bags, fanny
packs, and lunch boxes must also be see-through.
There are exceptions as well. They include a pouch for personal hygiene, thermal food
containers, and cases for any athletic/band equipment.

However, only students must comply with this requirement. School visitors, teachers, and
volunteers are exempt from it.
It is still pending board approval and the vote is on Tuesday, July 25th, 2023.
Furthermore, many people have voiced their opinions.
I interviewed Ms. Sarah Stabile, who is for the clear bag policy. “For the reasons of
safety. Because they’ve had a lot of things brought in that shouldn’t be brought in and this will
allow us to not have to, actually, search the backpack because you can see it.”
Stabile added on by saying, “Well, it will help diminish the people wanting to bring
something in because it’s going to be seen. So, do I think it's going to cure all of it or fix all of it?
No, but it will keep some people from bringing something in.”
Stabile also sees why students would be against it. “Because, carrying a backpack in the
way you decorate it and the backpack you have, kind of gives you your own individuality and
now, you’re told you have to have the same clear backpack as everybody else. So that means you
would have to come with up with another way to show individuality, yet still staying with the
school rules.”
On the other hand, I interviewed Chloe C., a CSHS freshman with a different view. “I’m
against because, like for one reason, it’;s just an invasion of privacy. I don’t want people to see
my stuff. Another reason would be that they’re not very durable, like they can break easily. And I don’t want to be spending my money or my parents’ money buying one of those bags.”
I also asked whether the policy would help with the violence issue. “Not really. The
people who want to bring stuff into the school will probably find a way. That’s not really going
to stop them from doing anything.”

I understand why the school board would want to implement this policy. However, I do
think it’s a bit too far.
It is definitely an invasion of privacy. I feel like clear bags could increase the chances of
theft because everyone else can see what’s inside your bag.
Clear bags would also be highly disadvantageous for students who take harder classes
and carry many things since the bags are not durable or of good quality. They are also expensive.
I feel like there could be other ways to make students safer at school, but clear bags
would do quite the opposite for students.