1989 is finally free! 

Taylor Swift re-releases her fifth studio album to much acclaim
Taylorswift.com
Taylorswift.com

Taylor swift released 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on October 27, 2023, which finally has set her best-selling album free from Big Machine Records. Swift is currently in the process of re-recording and re-releasing her older albums because they were stolen from her by her old record label (Big Machine Records) over a feud of master rights.  

Because of the release of the Taylor’s versions of these albums, she is finally able to claim these songs as her own. With these re-releases, fans not only get to hear their favorite songs revamped, but they also receive new tracks that were cut from the final album before it was published. These songs are called vault tracks.  

1989 (Taylor’s version) contained 5 new vault tracks and one additional deluxe track (Say Don’t Go, Now That We Don’t Talk, Suburban Legends, Is It Over Now? And Bad Blood [feat. Kendrick Lamar]).  

These songs contain lyrics of past relationships and old feelings while keeping up the upbeat pop energy. 

1989 will never go out of style.  

A fan favorite is “Is It Over Now?” which is speculated to be about swifts’ relationship with singer Harry Styles, which ended over year prior to the release of the album. Verse two contains Lyrics such as” red blood, white snow” and “blue dress on a boat” which is what leads fans to believe that she was talking about past events that happened between her and styles. 

Billboard states “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version),” one of five “From the Vault” tracks from the album, debuts at No. 1 on this week’s Hot 100 chart giving Swift her 11th career chart-topper.” 

One of my personal favorites from the vault tracks is “Now That We Don’t Talk” because of its catchy lyrics and its pop beats.  

The other vault tracks “Say Don’t Go” and “Suburban Legends” have been getting lots of love from fans. People have noticed that these songs sound similar to ones from her newest album “Midnights”, Specially “Suburban Legends” which is being compared to the song “Mastermind.” 

Fans were excited to see the surprise deluxe version of the album, which contains the song “Bad Blood [feat. Kendrick Lamar]”. The song “Bad Blood” is on the original album, but this version was originally released as a single. Fans were pleased to hear this song because the singer’s voices go so well together and now that their voices have matured, they sound even better. 

When asked about her thoughts on the album, 9th grader Sofia Dasliva says “I think it’s great. I’ve really been enjoying listening to Wonderland and New Romantics.” 

With the new recording of the album, Swift’s voice has matured beautifully. With the clarity in her voice, and the stronger vocals, she has managed to make this already amazing album even better. 

Some fans are thinking, “Is It Over Now?” When listening to 1989 (Taylor’s Version) 

Without doubt, Swift is still receiving backlash about the album. Some of her fans seem to think that she ruined some of the original songs. 

The two that are most criticized are “Style” and “New Romantics” because of a slight difference in the instrumental and her singing with “less emotion” in her voice. People have even gone as far as to compare these songs to sounding like Kids Bop music (after the popular kids group from the 2000s which released kid-friendly covers of popular songs). 

FAU high school freshman, Nicholette Brown says, “Shake it off is going to take some getting used to because I’m not sure how I feel about it.” And “The original version of Style is better.” 

Overall, I think Taylor’s version was just what this album needed. Her new vocals with the same nostalgic songs really added to the love I have for this album, and I think a lot of people can agree.  

I’m so happy that the vault tracks finally are “Out Of The Woods” because they were the perfect addition to this album, it’s hard to believe that they never made it in the first place. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to Colt Chronicle
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Coral Springs High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.